Are you one of the enthusiastic people who have taken it upon themselves to ‘fix’ everything on their own amid lockdowns? While researchers have suggested keeping yourself busy with ‘active distractions’ to deal with mental health challenges posed by social distancing measures, some DIY projects can cause more harm than good.
Here are a few reasons why ‘quick-fixes’ for windshield chips or cracks can result in even more damages.
Cheap DIY Kits: Low Costs Equal Low Quality
As nice as spending a relatively smaller amount on kits instead of seeking the help of a renowned auto glass shop sounds, the reality is that your lack of experience may make the small chip or crack a lot worse.
Additionally, cheap DIY kits often have compromised the quality of products. Although the instruction manual is generally quite detailed, the truth is, it’s not as simple as it appears. This is why there’s a high chance of incurring irrevocable damage that will turn it into a windshield replacement job instead of a simple repair.
- Failing to secure the suction cup in place. When the tools aren’t aligned in place, you will end up making a leaky mess on the entire windshield.
- No manual tells how much resin is adequate. It also doesn’t specify that resin is vulnerable to heat, which means it’s not a long-term solution.
- Another side effect of improper material application is that when resin absorbs moisture, it can make your windshield fog, leading to obscured visibility and elevating the chances of a
- Improper sealing and buffing can result in the ‘remedy’ not holding or the windshield to scratch.
- Not knowing how much pressure to apply or failing to smooth out the air bubbles also make it a lot worse.
If your DIY repair didn’t hold up and you’re thinking of taking your vehicle to an auto glass repair shop to reverse the damages, keep in mind that most insurance policies contain provisions that discourage self-repairs. This means your attempt to save money can void your entire coverage and end up costing you more, as you will have to pay the full amount from your pocket.
Please do yourself a favor and consult experts at Crystal Glass for a quick inspection before it’s too late. We offer top-quality services and guarantees customer satisfaction. Our 24-hour mobile windshield repair and replacement service provide convenient on-site auto glass services.
Call us at 310-GLAS, and we’ll provide our stellar services on the location of your choice—whether it’s your office, home, or a road in the middle of nowhere, we fix windshield cracks anywhere in Edmonton.